|Q) What makes the Athlete Training Centre different from other training facilities?
A) There are several reasons why our devoted athletes come back to us year after year, referring their teammates and friends and why we have grown so fast in 5 years.
1) Unlike other facilities we not only develop our athletes but play a proactive role in helping our young athletes move on to the next level. Our founder Richard Clark has built championship teams in Jr. A hockey, football and basketball. We therefore know what it takes for our athletes to succeed and coaches from the OHL, NCAA and Jr. A hockey frequent our facility or contact us regarding outstanding athletes. These coaches have seen the outstanding athletes that have emerged from our programs and have thus fostered strong relationships with the ATC Team. In six years we have proactively assisted 33 athletes move on to NCAA DI hockey teams.
2) Unlike other trainers, who may possess specific expertise in one or two areas, the Athlete Training Centre has assembled a multi-dimensional team of experts under the same roof. We are able to develop the TOTAL athlete and our tag line is SPEED, STRENGTH, SKILL. In hockey we have brought aboard two of the best skill developers in Ontario in Dawn Braid and Dusan Kralik. Working as a team enables us to work on identified weaknesses in an athlete. If for example our skating instructor Dawn Braid notices a weakness in hip flexibility or leg strength that is inhibiting skating development we will work with that athlete to improve in that area.
3) We are the only training facility in the Toronto area that monitors and charts the progress of our athletes in areas of speed, strength, body composition, foot speed and explosive power. Every week our athletes are provided with their weekly training sheet that is specific to them in terms of training volumes and intensity. Our athletes do not work with generic cookie cutter sheets or a list of exercises to perform that are written on a blackboard.
4) Our facilities have been custom-designed and custom-built around the needs of elite athletes. We have spared no expense to ensure that our facilities provide for every element of our program. Features of our facility include a 30yd x 4 lane Mondo track for speed development, a 5,000 sq. ft. dedicated strength training area that is outfitted with the same equipment you would find in any NCAA or professional sports team facility, 3 large hockey shooting pads and an 80’ x 40’ rink for hockey skill development – this means our athletes can go immediately after workouts and spend time on their skills.
5) Our customer base is very focused - elite athletes. Our elite athletes do not compete with people off-the-street for the attention of our staff and the resources of our facility. When they train with us, elite athletes feel comfortable knowing that they are in a refuge that allows them to meet their goals without being influenced by any outside pressures. We limit our athletes to ages 14 and up so that unlike other training places our athletes are not trying to train with a lot of young children running around.
6) The atmosphere that we promote and foster inside the facility is one of extreme intensity. When an athlete walks through our doors and look around they immediately know that the ATC is a place to train hard.....it is not a place to come and waste time or energy.
7) Our athlete community is unparalleled. We train many of the top champions, including World Jr. Gold Medalists, World Jr. MVP’s, World Championship Gold Medalists, top NHL draft picks, elite OHL players, NCAA Championships, numerous NCAA Division I scholarship athletes, Ontario Jr. Championship athletes. Our athletes feed off of each other's success and help push each other to reach championship performance levels.
8) Athletes' Performance is an independent facility independent of any agency or outside interest. Our sole purpose is to act in the best interests of our athletes. There are no conflicts of interest here.
Q) Isn’t it expensive to train at the Athlete Training Centre?
A) We have purposely kept our fees lower than the our competitors fees. We understand that in these harsh economic times that even our lower fee may seem too high to some people. However, when you spread that fee out over the entire off-season it works out to approximately $9 per hour of elite level training. We are also the only training facility that includes two hours of weekly skill development in our fee. Our athletes have confirmed that the money they spend at the Athlete Training Centre gives them an extraordinary return on investment, given the financial value of improving their on-field performance, minimizing injuries and the exposure to higher level coaches and scouts. We will also stand behind the value of our product through our offer of a no-risk trial period to all new customers.
Q) Can I train at the Athlete Training Centre if my team has specified an off-season training program for me?
A) Yes. ATC takes pride in working with teams and athletes to complement and execute team-specified work. Our athletes always rank near the top in strength, speed and conditioning testing done by their teams. In August 2008 two of our athletes were tested by Hockey USA as part of their national team program. In every category except the bench press one of our athletes finished 1st and that was competing against the best in the USA. We have worked closely in the past with team strength and conditioning coaches, athletic trainers, and therapists and dedicate ourselves to meeting both the team's and athlete's goals. We are a highly credible hands-on outsource to the teams.
Q) Can the ATC help to ensure that I maintain my training 12 months a year?
A) Yes. A major emphasis of our program is that athletes continue to train during their competitive season. This is not a problem at the Pro or NCAA level but at the high school or Jr. Hockey level it is a problem in that in-season training is not a priority. As a result many young players lose all the strength & power they gained in the off-season which hurts them come playoff time. Our young hockey players continue their strength & power training during the season and come playoff time have in fact gained strength since the beginning of the season.
Q) Do you offer any type of training at the Athlete Training Centre for adults?
A) In the fall of 2008 we ran a pilot project with a group of sedate adults. We trained them using the same protocols and programs that we use with our elite level athletes. The response from these adults and the corresponding life changing fitness levels they achieved has resulted in us launching our new adult program.
Q) What about supplements?
A) We believe that legal supplements are an important component of the training process that aids in muscle recovery. As such we recommend our athletes take whey protein, flaxseed oil, and various vitamins. We stress the world SUPPLEMENT and that they are not meal replacements. We do not tolerate performance enhancing drugs in our facility and all athletes using them will be barred from training with us.